"THIS IS MY COUNTRY. WHAT I WANT TO EXPRESS IS HERE AND I LOVE IT. AMEN" - EMILY CARR (MAY 1934)

Sunday 12 November 2017

Forest Lover - North End Gallery Whitehorse

When I picked the theme Forest Lover for this solo exhibition- I had a lot of the paintings in my mind before I even started.  I love the forest.. It surrounds me, my home so it has permeated my sub-conscious.   Our cabin is nestled in the spruce trees  near a pond and by the river.  There are a lot of trees! aspens and poplar mixed in with those spruce and the occasional pine. The mountains are there but in the background- gentle old mountains not dramatic peaks but a comforting presence.

When you come off the highway you drive for a kilometre (half a mile) to get to our home.  On the left side the lane follows the river banked by the moss covered forest with lots of deadfall.  I often walk along the river. A few days ago it was so beautiful!  You could see the water running over the aqua ice as freeze up is not yet complete; hoarfrost over all the trees including the alder leaves and the sun was shining through them - they were glowing a burnt orange, painters know it as burnt sienna. A humbling experience it is to see all this beauty and then try to capture it with your paintbrush.  Of late, I have made a point to just go out and enjoy it.  My snowshoes will become regular attire now.

I started the work for this show on September 27th and took the show into Whitehorse on Nov. 2.  The roads were very bad - freezing rain mixed with snow on mountainous roads in the Yukon do not make for good driving. A few years ago I had a very bad accident on the highway so I find it hard when this time of year comes again.  I took my time driving, instead of 4 hours it took me 5 & a half. I thank God I made it there in one piece.

The paintings I hope tell their story.  Forest Lover I am and will continue to enjoy it's beauty.

Here are 5 of the 15 paintings in the show.  Will post some more in the next few days :)

Forest Floor Study at Magundy
11x14 Acrylic on Canvas
Sold

Midnight Sun Burn (near Eagle Rock)
24x36 Acrylic on Canvas

Yukon Pond Reflections
16x20 Acrylic on Canvas

Foliage by the Magundy
11x14 Acrylic on Canvas

The Pond at Magundy
16x20 Acrylic on Canvas




2 comments:

  1. Love the blog, Jackie-great way to showcase and share your impressive art! It amazes me how quickly you created these incredible paintings for the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gloria, thank you so much for your feedback and encouragement! It is much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete